RSS

What is this Blog About?

For a while now I have been seeking to extend my responsibilities beyond where it stands - to thank the world that has been exceedingly kind to me over the years, add value to it. It was not easy! After some serious deliberation, I chose a competency that is my livelihood, a vocation I am very passionate about and committed to "interacting with people and leveraging group dynamics for individual and group success".

This blog is the result of that aspiration. I have introduced topics and experiences that contribute to Workplace Readiness and Leadership Development. The content is initially a reflection of my view but is aimed to attract diverse views from visitor to the site. The collective content will value add to the site. Businesses & professionals everywhere deserve this!

Who is Deb Dutta?

What is Workplace Readiness & Leadership Development?

What do I need from my blog visitors & subscribers?

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Criticism is for the ‘Fortunate’ – so use it wisely!

Criticism is for the ‘Fortunate’ – so use it wisely! Everyone, everywhere normally view ‘Criticism’ with unhappiness, concern, disdain and even negativity! Criticism is best done without and usually makes people visibly uncomfortable – not only those who face it but even those who happen to be around when it is doled out, especially in Asian circles!

I am currently enjoying being a judge the MBA Challenge – an online reality show in Singapore and part of my role is to put up contestants for elimination by ‘online voting’. In course of doing so, all the three judges are verbally and visibly critical on the contestants with the objective of either showing them the ropes that they need to learn to survive in the show or to make it very clear to the viewers, why some of the contestants should be eliminated.

In several instances, I feel we are too harsh to these contestants, but then I have second thoughts! I recall my growing up years .. I was the only son, the only brother and the youngest member in a nuclear family and always had my way! Never did anyone at home see or judge me and my actions critically! Seemed great at that time and I did not mind a bit nor do I blame my dear ones who lavished that treatment on me. As I grew up and came in close contact of the outside world, I started to see the disadvantage of my privileged childhood! I could not face up and cope with anything ‘even faintly not-so-good’ that was spoken about me. It was not that I was dumb enough not to realize that I was not ‘right’ in everything that I said nor that I was not the ‘best’ at everything I did – but it was very difficult to accept, leave alone digest the reality!

As I worked my way through primary and tertiary education and then through my work life, I met, worked with and learned from highly talented individuals who I was fortunate enough to associate with. I learned about work and life, about people and relationships. All this learning has shaped my career and what I have attained over the years. I am happy that as I progressed, I was more willing and agreeable about stepping outside my comfort zone of ‘personal perfection’ & seeking feedback from these people who saw me from up close and were thankfully willing to be critical about personal and work attributes that I needed to work on – many of these were indeed true and I knew about them if not acknowledge them! These corrections (some, if not all) molded me and made me more adequate in addressing today’s challenges at home, work and play!

Along the way, I learnt that any criticism is a gift really! It is advice that enables an individual to visualize a shortcoming that others see, which might or might not be immediately visible to him or even if visible, he might be in denial for different reasons. Whether this observation is considered valid or what the individual does with it, is absolutely personal – but atleast it presents a choice. Being aware of an area of weakness is halfway to resolving it! If you are not even aware of a shortcoming – how are you going to eliminate it?? So the next time you are criticized, view it as a free feedback routine – no one knows you better than yourself. You have the absolute and ultimate authority to determine whether you will accept this feedback or reject it. If you do determine that the recommendation is one that improves your current standing then by all means accept it and take massive action to implement it. Strengthen yourself and thank the outside world and the individual for presenting you with this ‘gift’!

I have also seen people who accept criticism in the right spirit and then some who go overboard and often overdo the personal transformation bit! While being ‘closed’ to acceptance of feedback is not a desirable position, acts of dramatic acceptance are not recommended as well! Look, we all have individual character traits. Depending on age and circumstances, many of these traits are fairly deep rooted. These traits represent us, make us what we are and help us to be accepted by our family, friends and co-workers despite our imperfections! Trying to change these is not only difficult but not desirable as well! When people try to overdo this, the changes that follow might work for a while but will definitely not be sustainable!

So here is the balancing act that I will recommend. Be self aware – be a firm judge of your strengths and perceived areas of improvement. Be prepared to actively solicit feedback from people who know you well and will judge you without bias! While feedback on ‘Strengths’ are welcome and pleasing to the ear, lean more on determining areas and traits that need more development. Find every opportunity to eliminate (to whatever extent possible) your weaknesses and strengthen your strengths! Be open to criticism – even if some of these are unfairly directed at you, use them wisely, not emotionally! Whether you accept or do anything with these is totally upto you, consequentially if you choose to do nothing is also upto you. Your attitude and actions will determine where you go from where you are today!

1 comment:

Charlie F said...

This is a very good article and an invaluable piece of advice.

Just like the story of the ancient Hebrew Heroes who conquered the "Land of Gaints".

Their leaders, Caleb and Joshua (the true heroes), saw the gaints as bread to eat instead of seeing themselves as "grasshoppers" before the gaints - a view their other scouts (spies) had.

Those with a "grasshopper" mentality died but Caleb and Joshua led the people into victory.

A similar story was also told of King David in his teenage years. The opposition of his nation sent a gaint warrior to taunt, criticize and intimidate (with words) David's army for 40 days.

David, then a teenager was not only not intimidated by those words of the opposition, he slained Goliath !

SO, HERE'S MY 2 CENTS WORTH:

Criticisms, in what ever form, size or intensity they may come - can be like bread for us to feed on. This "bread" forms part of the 'nutrition' for our growth as a person and professional (when we take with a positive attitude like your article suggests).

Criticisms can also be intimidating at times but they can be slained with a bravery when we face them head-on (the King David attitude). David was only a teenager - Goliath was an experienced warrior and a big dude.

So, we should never let the perceived experience of the 'criticiser' to knock us out !

Like a fortune, use it to our advantage and use it to build our personal wealth...(material and experience).

Finally, this is a landmark posting, Deb (to date as I believe more will come!). Thanks for taking time to share your experience and coaching :)